Ninth generation

This is a condensed version of Generation 9 in french

Denis Carrier © 2020

(en français)

Gerard Carrier at 22 Julienne Boucher at 20
Gerard Carrier 1917-1998 Julienne Boucher 1919-1987
signature of Gerard Carrier signature of Julienne Boucher at 17
signature as Mrs Gerard Carrier)

Pauline Carrier  Jean - Guy Carrier  Denis Carrier  Francois Carrier
 PAULINE              JEAN-GUY             DENIS           FRANçOIS

Gérard CARRIER and Julienne BOUCHER

Gérard Carrier had been born a few miles north of the Canada-U.S.A. border on Sunday, September 2, 1917, on Road number 7 in Saint-Hubert-de-Spaulding (Audet).  He had been baptized there on Tuesday, September 4.  The godfather had been Alphonse Grenier, great-uncle of the baptized, and the godmother, Azilda Bolduc.

Gérard had followed his father in his relatively numerous moving for that time. A rough pursuit in space and a time of his premium youth gives this: 1

- From his birth to the age of one to one and a half (1917-18), in Saint-Hubert-de-Spaulding (Audet).

- At approximatly one year and a half, he moved 6 miles west in Aimé Grondin's house.

- At two and a half (1919-1920) he moved to Chaudière river.

- At four (1921-22), he moved in the Dostie house, again in Saint-Hubert (Audet). While living at that place, he came close to drowned himselfself with all other members of his family. (For more details, see the previous generation.)

-At the age of four and a half (1922), he moved to Saint-Théophile on Road Saint-François also called "rang des Crêpes" (Pancakes Road) next to Pépin family. Julienne Boucher, daughter of Siméon Boucher futur wife of Gérard Carrier, will also live in Saint Thèophile, on "Le Petit Rang" near the village, from 1925 on.

- At 6 (summer of 1924), Gérard moved on Joseph Leclerc's lot. His father had bought the lot and the house of Joseph Leclerc. He stayed there much longer, that is, up to the death of his mother in 1927.

Gérard started attending school in the Fall of 1924. He was seven years old since September 2. The school was about one mile from his home and situated on Mignon Leclerc or Cadius Beaudoin's lot. He attended this school for two years  2

At the age of 9, he lost his mother, nee Maria Leblanc. Less than one year later, before the end of the classes, he was placed in a foster family: Arfa Théberge, of Saint-Samuel. This was at the beginning of the summer of 1928. Gérard stayed there at least until he reached the age of 13. The Théberges were not strangers. Madame Théberge, nee Maria Leclerc, was the sister of Joseph Leclerc from whom Arthur Carrier had bought the lot and the house in 1924.

During his stay at Arfa Théberge home, Gérard went to the school situated at a crossroad where four Pépins families lived. The walk was about 3 miles (5 km) to reache the school. There he made his Solemn Communion, marking so the end of his studies.
In the Summer of 1930, Gérard, who was then 12 years old, lived for a while at Eddie Roy's home, on the Kenebec highway. There, he worked on the farm 3 and, in his spare time, used to go skating at the village's ice rink.


Gérard Carrier, around the age of 13. His first job in Beauce, southern Québec.
(Photo: Denis Carrier Collection)

At around 14, he returned to Saint-Théophile. The relations between his father and his new wife  had normalized, which allowed a coming together of the children. They went to live in the round wood shack built by Arthur Carrier at the middle of his one mile long lot, where there was a saw mill.

At the age of 16 years, this son Arthur became raftsman for a while. He worked with a son of Néré Lapointe, on Chaudière River between the point where the wood was dropped to the river (6 miles north of Armstrong) and Saint-Georges.

Gérard stayed in Saint-Théophile until he reached the age of 17, that is to say, until he left for Abitibi for the first time. Meanwhile, he met Julienne Boucher. At the age of 17, while the Great Depression was at its highest, Gérard decided to go to Abitibi by train with his friend and future brother-in-law, Florian Boucher4 The adventure started in Quebec City at mid-December in 1934. Gérard and Florian, a little older decided to look for a job in the forest industry around La Tuque, north of Québec City. They traveled by train up to La Tuque and got off there. After two days of walking they returned to the train Station at LaTuque.

Unsatisfied from this adventure, Gérard and Florian decided, instead of going back to Québec City, to head for Abitibi. They jumped on the rolling train and reached Amos without having eated anything on the trip. To celebrated their arrival and forget their hunger. They put in common all the money they had left and bought one gallon of Saint-George wine.5 Then they got back on the train for the last part of the travel. Destination: Taschereau. From Taschereau, they reached by foot Monsieur Thibeault, a freind living in Sainte-Rose-de-Poularies. This man accommodated them and gave them their first meal for three days. The following day, they hicked to the Jonction Marrouf6 about fifteen miles (24 km) south of Sainte-Rose-de-Poularies where they were hired as lumberjack, except Gérard, too young and without any experience as lumberjack. Monsieur Bergeron from Macamic hired him as cooki (helper in the kitchen).

Then he went to work around Rapide-Sept. The boss was Monsieur Desgroseillers, of Beaudry and Desgroseillers.  They fited him out a bed on the second level of a two-level bed. The evenings were red hot and the mornings icy. On the other hand, food were excellent.

At a later date and after many more adventures Gérard went by train to Montréal on his way back to southern Québec. Montreal was utterly strange to him, a real wild forest. He was just arrived, having taken no meal nor sleep but wanted to return to Beauce.

He bought a ticket for Québec City for two dollars and arrived at station Le Palais in Québec City. For ten cents, he bought a ticket on the ferryboat to Levis. He walked the 28 miles (45 km) between Lévis and Saint-Lambert to reach his uncle Arthur Pelchat. The remaining part of the travel south was made in two days. Between these two days, Gérard slept at the home of the shoemaker of Saint-Côme, the bon vivant friend of the family. The couple listened with interest to the description of his adventures in Abitibi. The last day, shortly before reaching the shack where when the remaining of the children from Arthur's first marriage lived, he saw Rover their dog coming up to him. The dog jumped of enjoyment by seying him again, what made his sister Thérèse to say : I knew it was you, Gérard. That was in February, 1935.

Spring, 1936: new departure for Abitibi. This one will be decisive for the futur of Gérard Carrier who was then 18 years old. At his return to Sainte-Germaine-Boulé, he worked to the construction of Road no. 2 ("rang deux")  7 between the village and highway 63.  8 During this period, he lived at Madame Siméon Boucher's home, his future mother-in-law, nee Carmélite Fortin on May 16, 1890. Madame Boucher and her children, except Simone and Paula who had found an employment at Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City, had left Saint-Théophile for Sainte-Germaine-Boulé in the spring of 1936. At the fall, Gérard went to work as lumberjack for Médé (Amédé) Girard subcontractor in Cadillac City area for the Canadian International Paper Co.  In the spring of 1937, he obtained his first lot from the Ministry of the colonization in La Sarre. He learned by doing. Without bleuprint nor theoretical knowledge, he made it within two summers. He was not yet 20 when he raised up the structure. Joists were squared by hands with an axe. This house will be durable. Madame Siméon Boucher (Carmélite Fortin) will live there with her son up to her death in 1972 then Florian will also end his days there . After the death of Florian Boucher, Robert Massicotte will buy it.

At the fall of 1937, Gérard teamed up with another of his future brothers-in-law, Roméo Boucher. The duet began to trade in the firewood business. They fell trees in Dubuisson, cut them up in firewood and that they sold to the residents of Malartic. After Christmass, Gérard Carrier went back south for the maple sugar season of spring 1938. He was then 20 years old.

At the beginning of summer 1938, he went up again in Abitibi and worked to the transportation of logs with a team of two horses. He was able to save 50.00$ with which he bought his first motorcar, a Dodge 1927 with oiled wooden sides. He spent the summer of 1938 to finish the construction of his first house and to cultivate the 5 acres for which he will receive the grants after the Christmass,   9

At the fall of 1938, Gérard sold his lot and the house he had just finish the construction to his future brother-in-law Florian Boucher. 10 In the next spring (1939) he went again south for the maple season at his brother-in-law Alcide Parent's place. He spent one and a half month there making axe handles for which he received 15.00$, anough to go back to Abitibi wherer Julienne received him by crying of joy. This separation have convinced them of the solidity of their love.

At the summer of 1939, Gérard went to work for Adélar Turmel. This man had original ideas to develop tourism. He had decided to build a hotel-house-wagon-restaurant which has deliberately the shape of a rail car with its central longitudinal part made of a series of small oblong windows, the whole painted in a spruce-in-winter-green. Gérard worked to it the whole summer for his food and his shelter.
At the beginning of 1940, Gérard went to work in anticipation for his marriage.   11 He started in December 1939 and worked 125 days in a row for one dollar a day. His employer was Médéric Landry subcontractor for the firewood used by the Waite-Amulet Mine. 12

About the same time, he was called for the military service. Doctor Willi Bernier of La Sarre was in charge of the admitting inspection. Gérard was classified "A" but was kept in reserve because colonizing (conquering) Abitibi over Indians was considered important.

On Wednesday, May 8, 1940, Gérard Carrier married Julienne Boucher.   13 Gérard was 22 years old and Julienne 20. The marriage took place in Sainte-Germaine-Boulé in the old chapel. 14 The priest Alfred Roy blessed the union. There was no marriage contract but on May 12, 1949, Gérard and Julienne made a deed of mutual donnation in presence of notary Jules Lavigne of La Sarre.   15

Julienne Boucher had been born on December 20, 1919 in Saint-Philibert, daughter of Siméon Boucher and Carmélite Fortin. She had been baptized in Saint-Georges the 21 under Marie-Blanche-Julienne-Cécilia 16 After Saint-Philibert she had lived in Notre-Dame-des-Pins then on Le Petit Rang (The Small Road) in Saint-Théophile. She had frequented the school on this road then the school of the village up to grade six. She had demonstrated a particular talent for the drawing. After the marriage, the couple lived in Madam Boucher's house, the house Gérard had built then sold to Florian.  17 Florian Boucher on his side returned to live on the opposite side of Road 2.  18
On April 15, 1941, Julienne gave birth to a girl. Pauline  19 was born at Madam Boucher's home. She would marry on July 29, 1972 in Sainte-Germaine-Boulé, Robert Rossignol 20 , chartered accountant, born on March 16, 1941, son of Louis Rossignol 21 and Germaine Charbonneau. Robert was living in Anjou (Montréal) at the time of marriage. Pauline and Robert will mainly reside at 165, rue Sorel in Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville.

After Pauline's birth, Gérard took the necessary steps to obtain the concession of another lot. The Ministry of the colonization was reluctant because he had already obtained one that he had left.

Gérard finally obtained the lot. Because of the geomorphology which changes in a mountainous relief at this place, the granted lot was parallel to the road while the others are perpendicular to it. It layed on the north side of country Road no. 2.  22 in Sainte-Germaine-Boulé, canton Poularies, rang 3. It included 1/3 (southern part) of lots 7, 8 and 9.
In this summer of 1941, Gérard began the construction of his house. 23 Based upon his previous experience, this house will be of better proportions and with more finishing touches. There will be among others a sunroof integrated into the floor and a partial hip roof. This partial hip roof allowed him the convenient routing of covering materials for the roof (here, cedar shingles) from the second floor. The foundation was made of four rows of logs squared on four faces. To meet his objectives, Gérard had to work 12 to 15 hours a day at a frenzied. The short summer with long day duration 24 of Abitibi were enough for him to complete at three-quarters of the construction in addition to clearing the maximum 5 acres giving grants and cutting and transporting to the sawmill a good part of the wood necessary for the construction.  25 Besides this important spending, it was necessary to support the family. Julienne did largely by cultivating a garden and by limiting at the minimum the spendings of the home.

House on Road 2
House on Road 2

In the fall of 1941, Gérard Carrier returned to work for the Spruce Falls Co. in a season similar to the previous one. In the summer of 1942, he completed his house and cultivated 5 new acres (2,02 hectares) as usual. He coverered his house completely with wood shingles, including the roof, and this without any help. But it was only the next summer that the young Carrier family went to live there. Julienne who was pregnant made her first own garden there and remember having harvested it on October 8 (1942) because next day, on October 9 at dawn she gave birth to Jean-Guy. Shortly after, Jean-Guy was baptized in Sainte-Germaine-Boulé.  Jean-Guy Carrier 26 would mary on June 10, 1972, Clémence Doré daughter of Fernand Doré in the church of La Sarre. He will first be a self employed trucker and later on a technician in electronics, working for Bilodeau and Bilodeau Inc. in La Sarre. Around 1980, he bought Bilodeau and Bilodeau Inc.

After the All Saints' Day (the 1st of November), Gérard Carrier returned to work at Mace Pit (or Main's Pit) in Ontario. He will return there for several winters among which two at Camp Marcil (no 39). During those winters, Julienne often lived in fear. When there was a storm, she used to take refuge to the cellar together with Pauline and Jean-Guy.

In 1944, Gérard sold his lot and his house to Denis Pigeon  27. He had already passed a verbal agreement to purchase another lot that he prefered to his present one because it was located near a highway on which snow was removed in winter and because there was a barn in addition to the house. In the following years, Denis Pigeon lost interest in Gérard Carrier house and lot and on August 11, 1948, the lot and the house were returned to the Crown. All those acres cleared by Gérard at the price of such a hard labour will return bushy and the house will be transported on the opposite side of the road by Orèle Jalbert to serve as machinery storage on the first floor and for grain storage on the second floor.

The new property bought by Gérard Carrier on August 31, 1944 was on lot no 32 rang 1,township of Palmarolle,  in the southern part of Sainte-Germaine-Boulé (131, rang 10-1). The road for this rang was called no 10 or "rang dix". The lot had been obtained from the Crown by Joseph Lessard on July 19, 1933 who has given it up to Héléodore Larivière on July 21, 1944. 28 Before the construction of the house, there had been a school at the same place or a little to the west.  29 This house had been built by Joseph Lessard.
Monsieur Lessard had given his lot and his house to his son-in-law Héléodore Larivière of whom Gérard Carrier bought it.  The moving was made on August 28, 1944. Gérard's first task was to strengthen the house and the barn. At the house, he added metal reinforcements in diagonal inside the walls. To the barn, he put two big horizontal beams at the hight of the base of the roof  He squarred these beams by hand with an axe. He also added struts to each end of the roof. Then, near the house, he planted some willows : one in front of the house to cut the south Sun and a few more to the west to cut the dominant winds.

carrier_gerard_hockey.jpg - 24366 Bytes

Gérard Carrier (second from the left) playing hockey at Emile Bélanger's residence (lot 36 rang 1, Palmarolle Township, in Ste-Germaine-Boulé). Left to right: Cyril Lamarre, Gérard Carrier, Marcel Dumas, Rosario Lachance, André Dumas (?), Robert Dumas (?), Clément Gariépy and Raymond Bélanger son of Emile.
(Photo: Denis Carrier Collection, given by Raymond Bélanger who identified the players)

The next fall, he went to work as foreman for Eras Richard on the road of White-Amulette Mine, the same place he had worked during the winter preceding his marriage.


Gérard Carrier with his daughter Pauline and his son Jean-Guy beside his first truck. Spring 1946, Sainte-Germaine-Boulé.
(Photo: Denis Carrier Collection)

At the summer of 1946, Julienne Boucher gave birth to a second boy. Denis 30 was born on June 2 at 7.30 a.m. in their newly bought house. Denis Carrier was baptized in Sainte-Germaine. He would marry on August 31, 1968 Danielle De Baets in the parish of Saint-Nazaire in Ville La Salle (Montréal). 31

During all these years, Julienne took a religious care of her children, their house and the small farm.
House on Road 10
House on Road 10

At the autumn of 1947, Gérard Carrier returned for a second season to Eras Richard's camp. This season included the transportion of wood in Languedoc for Jean-Paul Lambert of Macamic. During his summers, he used to transport some four-foot long wood called "pitoune" that he must load in the bush and unload on the train by hand. Transfering all that wood on hot summer days in closed cars, was an awful job. He usually kept for himself a certain time while snow melted for repairing his truck and to get back in shape for the next challenge. He also used one week around Sainte-Anne's to harvest hay for the unique cow.  32

For the winters of 1948-49 , 1949-50 and 1950-51 Gérard went trucking in Languedoc.  At the summer of 1951, the whole Carrier family went to visit relatives in the Canadian West. The trip lasted one month and was in response to some of them who came to Abitibi.  The Abitibians stayed for a part at Albert Carrier's home and mainly at Paul Carrier's farm in Zenon Park, Saskatchewan.

For the winter 1953-54 and the summer 1954, Gérard went carrying four-foot wood in Missanabie, Ontario.  At about the same time, he also went for one summer in McFadden for the Pine Line Co. 33 In Missanabie, Henri-Louis Carrier, his wife Thérèse Castonguay and their children Marthe Jean-Luc and Bertrand were also with him. They were just arrived from the West.

Winter 1955-56 was an exception: Gérard did not go to the logging camp. Instead, he worked to the construction of a logs loader of his own, a loader of the cable type. When this loader was finish, at spring, he went on to test it for the Pine Line Co. in Foleyet, Ontario. At the winter 1956-57, he went to transport 16-foot logs for Jean-Paul Lambert in Saint-Etienne-de-Languedoc in Abitibi.

Eleven years after the birth of Denis, Julienne and Gérard had a third son. François Carrier born at Youville Hospital, in Noranda 34 on February 23, 1957. He was the first child to which Julienne gave birth in a hospital. François 35 was baptized soon after in Sainte-Germaine-Boulé. He would marry on October 7, 1977, Carmen Fournier, daughter of François Fournier, in Saint-André church, La Sarre, PQ.

François and Carmen lived for a while in La Sarre then move in the family house (Located on lot 32, rang 10 and 1 in Sainte-Germaine-Boulé) in 1982. François bought the family house on June 29, 1984 from his father Gérard Carrier. 36 He kept the house and the lot for 4 years. He then sold them back to a Monsieur Avoine who himself sold them to Jean-Paul Audet already owner of a plot of land having been sold originally to Claude Raymond.

In the spring of 1957, Gérard Carrier went walking wood harvesting areas for Jean-Paul Bruneau  37 He passed by Blind River, Tessalon and Embride(?) to reach White River that they went up and built a camp. At the next winter, Gérard returned to this camp by winter roads.  38

At the fall of 1957, Gérard went to transport some 4-foot wood for the cooperative Colonie Fournière near Malartic, Quebec. The contract was held on the road of Bay Carrière. Jean-Guy, worrying to follow the path of his father did not return to school in spite of a remarkable academic success. He was only fifteen years old since October 9.

trucking in 1957
Gérard Carrier, trucking.

During the winter of 1958-59, the father and the elder son returned to transport 4-foot wood in a first season for Henri Lebel. Armand Macameau and his wife Pierrette Boucher 39 where with them. In the fall of 1959, Gérard and Jean-Guy returned to the same region as the preceding winter,this time for Roland Miljour.

During the winter of 1960, Gérard got sick. He injured himself to a foot (probably a fracture) but this did not stopped him from keeping on working because all the wood must have gone out of the forest before taw. So, weakened by his wound, he developed an abscess in a lung, the cigarette probably having been a determining factor. On April 11, he entered in Macamic's sanatorium. 40 and stayed there for two months.

At the end of 1961, he went to work in Matachewan (Westree), Ontario. His son Jean-Guy was with him. Winter 1961-62 was used for the transportion of 4-foot wood taken from the riverside parishes of the Kinojavis between Rouyn and Val d'Or. During this same winter, the father and the son also went to transport wood for Leonard Heaffey in Perry Lake, Ontario. During the summer of 1962, Gérard Carrier took the contract of transporting four-foot wood from Paul Lahaie subcontractor for Feldman of Timmins. The workplace was between Hébécourt in Québec and Matheson, Ontario, not very far from the border, on the Ontario side. The task was to pick up the bottom row of 4-foot left from the preceding winter because they where seized in the frozen ground. These rolls remains were brought up to an assembly point near the highway leading to Iroquois Falls. This wood was intended for the papermill located there.  Denis Carrier second son of Gérard and who was then 15, also worked with them during the two month summer holidays.

From the fall of 1962 to April 1965, Gérard and Jean-Guy Carrier made the transportation of 4-foot wood to the papermill of Ansonville (Iroquois Falls), first for Paul Lahaie then for the Perrons brothers (Normick) of La Sarre.

During this time, the family life was assured by Julienne. So, as an exemple, at the winter of 1962-63 she worked on the loom to make blankets called "catalognes".

at the loom
Julienne Boucher working on the loom.

The summer of 1963 was remembered by the passage in Abitibi of a violent tornado. The house of the Carrier family holded out admirably.

In October, 1965, Gérard Carrier bought a White 1964, repossessed by the Industrial Acceptance Corporation (IAC) of North Bay from Mister Pressault of Field, Ontario. This purchase will cause him a lots of concerns.
At the summer of 1969, Gérard went to transport 16-foot  41 for Paul Lépine subcontractor for Hervey Queen. These logs were brought at Malette Lumber in Timmin.

At the summer of 1970, he began the last stretch of his career. He had two good trucks leading (International Harvester) used to transport gravel for the construction of the plant of Texas Gulf in Timmins. Gérard drove one himself, the other being driven by a chauffeur from Timmins.  At the end of the contract, he sold back both trucks at a discount price having done his money. The impossibility to get a licence (PCV) in Ontario for a resident of Quebec  42 added to his age, made him decide to retire. He also sold his licence to opreate in Québec from "L'Association Nationale des Camionneurs Artisans du Québec" to Monsieur Champagne of Road no. 9 in Macamic.

Afterward, he kept himself busy by selling used auto parts and trading on various products, from household appliances to industrial loaders, trucks, campers, skidoos, windchargers etc.

Julienne Boucher for her part continued to look afer the house in spite of her healt. Since 1975 or before, she was suffering from the Parkinson disease. In August, 1981, she received her children and grand-children for last time. After 38 years in the same house, it was a part of herself that she left in Sainte-Germaine when she had to quit. She went to live with her daughter, Pauline in Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville (Longueuil since 2002) south of Montreal with a latent hope to return if she could get better. She died in Résidence Régina in Greenfield Park (also part of Longueuil today) on October 29, 1987. She was 67 years old and were interred in Sainte-Germaine-Boulé in Abitibi.

After the departure of his wife for the South, Gérard Carrier continued to live in his house until September, 1982. On June 29, 1984, as said before, he sold his house and his lot to his son François and went to live in a small residence for old persons at 49, rue Principale Nord, in La Sarre. He stayed there from September 1982 untill June 1991. From this date on, he lived on the upper floor of Centre Saint-Jean de Macamic, reserved for senior citizens. He died there on March 20, 1998 and was interred in Sainte-Germaine-Boulé beside his wife. He was 80 years old.

1 As told by Gérard Carrier himself. 
2 Excluding the school year 1927-1928. 
3 To look after and milk the cow. 
4 According to the narration made twice by Gérard Carrier himself on January 2, 1975 and November 27, 1976. 
5 About 4.5 liters. 
6 At Duparquet exit on the road from Macamic to Rouyn. The camp site was on the west side, slightly North of this intersection. 
7 That is on the country road giving acces to the inhabitants having lots situated in rows (rangs) 2 and 3. 
8 The highway number going from La Sarre to Duparquet will be later changed to no. 393 (around 1975). 
9 4 wide by one and quarter deep. 
10  There had been no sale contract but a transfer of the note of rent ("billet de location")between Gérard Carrier and Madame Boucher who will bequeath the property to Florian at her death. This note of rent was recorded at the office of the Ministry of the colonization in La Sarre. Florian Boucher will remain single. He took the direction of the family. Florian was interred on July 21 in Sainte-Germaine-Boulé. 
11 Called "run" even in french.  
12 He will participate in its demolition and in the recycling of the iron resulting from it around 1975. 
13 Taken from the Register of the parish of Sainte-Germaine-Boulé for the year 1940. 
14 This chapel was situated where today is the Centre-Récréatif, west of the church. After the construction of the church, the chapel served as parochial room. To give way to the Centre-Récréatif, the cahppel was sold to Jos Tardif who used it as a welding shop then as a garage for school busses. 
15 " Gérard Carrier and Julienne Boucher, Sainte-Germaine de Palmarolle", May 12, 1949, Jules Lavigne, provincial notary, minutes no 14461 and 14462. 
16 Taken from the Registers of the parish Saint-Georges, city of Saint-Georges-ouest for the year 1919. 
17 Named "Caldghieu" because of his "patoi" (swearword). 
18 Lot 4, row(rang) 3. 
19 Marie-Thérèse-Pauline 
20 Joseph-Louis-Robert 
21 Louis Rossignol was employed by the newspaper La Patrie at the inersection of Hôtel-de-Ville street and Sainte-Catherine street, in Montreal. 
22 Today, highway 111. 
23 This house was located near the West line of lot number 7. 
24 At the latitude of Abitibi, darkness does not happens before 10 o'clock in the evening and even later. 
25 To get money, Gérard went loging for to 7 days at a place called Polock, in Ontario. He cut 28 four-foot cords with a hand saw (called buck saw). 
26 Joseph-Gérard-Jean-Guy 
27 Denis Pigeon was the brother of Raoul Pigeon married Julienne's sister Adrienne Boucher. Denis and Raoul Pigeon were the sons of Albert Pigeon (1890-1968) and Délima Larochelle (1891-1972). 
28 Taken from "L'histoire des nôtres 1933-1983 " (50-th of Sainte-Germaine-Boulé) page 18. 
29 Julienne had never been able to make her garden between the house and west line of lot 32 because this part was too hard having served as schoolyard. 
30 Joseph Rénald Denis 
31 Part of Montreal since 2002. 
32 On July 26. Gérard Carrier had a particular worship for Sainte-Anne. 
33 Line of radar situated on the 49-th parallel and being used for North America defence. 
34 Later part of the Rouyn-Noranda hospital complex. 
35 Joseph Renaud François 
36 "Vente de Gérard Carrier à François Carrier". June 29,, 1984, Yvon Chabot notairy. 
37 Inspecting the forest for the best places to harvest trees. 
38 Making access roads is cheaper in winter. A simple leveling with a buldozer give a road of a surprising quality. Furthermore, rivers can be crossed over without bridge. 
39 Daughter of Valère Boucher and Laurette Gourde. So, Armand Macameau was the nephew of Gérard Carrier by alliance . 
40 Today Saint-Jean de Macamic hospital. 
41 Carrying 16-foot or 4-foot long wood required different equipments. 16-foot long logs were loaded with a machine or with an piece of equipment fixed on the truck itself and was intended for lumber. 4-foot long logs used to make pulp for paper were, at that time loaded by hand with a hook. 
42 Gérard Carrier was living in Sainte-Germaine-Boulé at this date. 

| Home | Beginning of this document | Preceding Page | Next Page |